Going on a little getaway with family is something that you need to do! You can make some fun memories and enjoy the time just being away. What you don’t want to do is spend a fortune. Here’s how to Go On a Cheap Staycation getaway the whole family will love!
A few weeks ago my husband and I were trying to figure out something fun to out of town to do with our kids. We’d already been on a little family lake getaway and we’d been so busy with my daughter’ s soccer tournaments so we decided to take a small stay-cation. But where to go without spending a huge chunk of change?
We decided to head an hour and a half north into Oklahoma to a local casino/resort. I know it might sound crazy to take kids to a casino (no, we didn’t take them gambling!!) but we actually had a super cheap staycation getaway at Winstar Casino! Would you believe we had 2 nights totally free???? We did! So, how did we do this?
Let me tell you all about how to possibly get free nights a casino resort similar to Winstar. All I had to do was go the casino in person a few months prior (at least one month ahead of time) and register for a players card. When you register, they take your email and address to send you coupons/discounts. It’s totally free to do this and they gave me $20 on this card to gamble or use how I wanted in the casino. It was so much fun!
The next month I started getting coupons in the mail for up to 4 free nights in the hotel on certain days (not weekends!!) so this works great during the summer time. We packed an over night bag and headed north with the kids. They were so excited to stay in a hotel.
We had the best time as a family. Yes, we were in a small space but the kids loved it! There’s something about being up high in a hotel room and watching movies in your pj’s in bed that’s just so fun (at least to my kids)! They also loved the large glass shower. They took multiple showers 🙂
The casino has a great pool so we were totally entertained for free. This would only work during the summer time for this as the hotel does not have an indoor pool. If you go somewhere with an indoor pool then you are covered!
Here are some ways we saved money on this staycation:
- Free Room (Just by getting a Players’ Game Card)
- We brought Snacks/Drinks and used the hotel room fridge
- I also brought breakfast items so we didn’t spend money there
- The pool served as our entertainment (free!)
- We did buy dinner at the pool bar/restaurant but we bought a few things and shared
- I hit up the $1 bin and bought a few fun new toys for the kids to play with in the room so no gift shop
- We did bring Ipads and used Netflix to keep kids entertained in between pool times 🙂
What are your ideas for a cheap staycation getaway? There’s still time to get away this Labor day weekend!
Latest posts by Shannon Gauger (see all)
- Healthy Eating and Fitness Ideas When You’re On a Budget - January 8, 2018
- How to Go On a Cheap Staycation Getaway - August 28, 2017
- 3 Ways Essential Oils Help Me - June 22, 2017